Healthy Proteins Tips
Proteins are an important part of a child's diet. Quick tips for helping children choose healthier, low fat proteins.
- Beans are now listed in the "meat group" because they are packed with protein.
- Choose lean meats such as chicken breast, lean ham or roast beef.
- Go lean with protein with a handful of nuts.
- Salmon has omega 3 heart healthy fat.
- Choose lean meats such as chicken breast, lean ham or roast beef, instead of salami or bacon.
- If your 4 year old gets 4 tablespoons of protein, he has met his daily protein needs.
- Lean cuts of beef have the words, “round” or “loin” in the name.
- Choose lean-meats and fat-free hot dogs on whole grain buns.
- Try hummus or bean spread as a dip for veggies.
- Nuts are a great source of protein and healthy oils.
- Healthy oils come from fish, nuts, and liquid oils like grape seed, olive oil, avocado and hemp oil.
- Black beans are a better choice because they have less fat than refried beans