How to increase your child's fruits and vegetables
Fun dairy printables
There are so many choices of beverages in the store. But the most important drinks for children are water and milk (if they are not allergic).
It is important to help children choose these beverages as their main drink for all meals so that they get enough water to keep their body properly hydtrated and get the calcium and vitamin D their bones and teeth need.
Here is a list of helpful tips that
give you ideas on how to get your child to drink more water
easy recipe and meal tips for adding water and milk to their meals
help you limit the amount of sugary drinks that come from fruit juice, sports drinks and soda
List of Tips To Help Kids Drink Healthy Beverages (Water and Milk) At Mealtime
- Serve water, low-fat milk or 100% fruit juice more often than sugar-sweetened sodas and
- Limit the amount of added sugar in your child’s diet.
- The standard recommendation of water intake for children is at least 6-8 glasses (1.5 - 2 liters) a day.
- Sodas and sport drinks can have as much as 13 teaspoons of added sugar.
- If your child plays sports like volleyball, basketball or soccer, it is important to drink water 20 minutes prior to your practice or game.
- Fiber needs water to work!
- Serve water when your child is thirsty.
- Fruit juice should be limited to once a day.
- During hot weather, don't forget to give your child plenty of water to drink.
- Avoid foods that have sugar or high fructose sugar as the first ingredient.
- By the time a child feels thirsty, their mental performance may have deteriorated by 10%.
- There are flavored water or club soda with zero calories that are better options than high sugared flavored drinks.
- Start your young kids off right when they are little. Avoid offering children soda and punch.
- Drinking just one can of soda a day increases a child's risk of obesity by 60%. Restrict your child's soft drink consumption.
- Each 12-ounce soft drink contains approximately 10 teaspoons of sugar and 150 calories.
Flag This Item