- When you are eating out, agree on at least 1 healthy substitution with your child
- Talk to your child before ordering a meal and give them a choice of milk, 100% juice or water instead of soda.
- Most restaurant entrees are enough for two people to eat. Order the regular size and split the order and share it.
- Don’t be shy about making healthy substitutions even in Kids Fun Meals (usually comes
with a toy)
- Avoid ordering extra large portions just because they are a deal
- Ask for child’s size, even for á la Carte items
- Talk to your child before ordering a meal so that substitutions are already agreed upon
- Order salads with ‘lite’ or non-fat dressing instead of regular dressing
- Choose water, milk or 100% fruit juice instead of soda
- Stir fried, steamed, roasted or broiled dishes are healthier choices than battered or deep fried.
- Use salsa and mustard instead of mayonnaise
- Choose a regular, single patty hamburger without cheese and mayonnaise
- Order prepared foods steamed, broiled, grilled, poached, or roasted- not fried
- Avoid foods with the words jumbo, giant, super sized or deluxe in the name.
- Let your child know that they can ask for food items prepared a specific
way to make a meal healthier.
- Drink nonfat or low fat milk or water instead of whole milk
- Minimize the use of gravy, sauces and dressings; have them served on the side
- Ask for fruit instead of fries or chips