Chef Solus’ Favorite Tips to Help Kids and Families Stay Active!
- Rain or sunshine, turn on your child's favorite music and dance in the living room.
- Avoid putting a television in your children's bedrooms
- Ask them to decide how they would like to use their 1-2 hours of “screen time”
- Let each child take a turn choosing the activity of the day or week
- If your child likes to climb, head for the nearest neighborhood jungle gym
- Organized sports are great but there are many other activities children can do to be active
that are not competitive. Let them select or choose as a family
- Keep the computer in a family area.
- Limit other sedentary activities, such as text messaging or chatting on the phone
- If your child likes to read, walk or bike to the neighborhood library for a book
- Celebrate accomplishments with fun activities instead of food or extra TV time
- Talk about physical activity as a fun lifelong way to take care of your body and balance
your food and energy, rather than viewing it as a chore
- Set aside time each day for physical activity