- Always use both shoulder straps. Slinging a backpack over one
shoulder can strain muscles.
- Teach children to pack their backpack light. Organize the backpack to use all of its compartments.
- The backpack should never weigh more then 10 to 20 percent of the
your child’s body weight.
- Pack heavier items in your child's backpack closest to the center of the back.
- Choose a backpack with wide, padded shoulder straps and a padded
- Consider a rolling backpack for kids. This type of backpack may be a good
choice for students who must tote a heavy load.