Back to School Healthy Eating
- Most schools regularly send schedules of cafeteria menus home.
- Each 12-ounce soft drink contains approximately 10 teaspoons of sugar and 150 calories.
- Drinking just one can of soda a day increases a child's risk of obesity by 60%. Restrict your child's soft drink consumption.
- Tea sandwiches: These are bite-sized sandwiches. You can make your child a cream
cheese tea sandwich with very thin cucumber slices. (Meatless)
- With this advance information, you can plan on packing lunch on the days when the main course is one your child prefers not to eat.
- Try to get your child's school to stock healthy choices such as fresh fruit, low-fat dairy products, water and 100 percent fruit juice in the vending machines.