Cooking With Kids Tips
Cooking with Kids Activities Printables
Chef Solus Cooking Game
Family Dinner Time Conversation Cards
Getting children involved in cooking is a great way to boost kids’ ’nutritional know how’, introduces them to explore new foods, gives them skills, increased confidence, and a way to have fun and enjoy the many benefits of creating and eating healthy foods!
Here is a list of our tips that give suggestions on:
how to involve children in the kitchen
how to make it fun for the kids to help cook
how to use cooking time with kids as nutrition education time
List of Tips for Cooking with Kids
- Involve your kids in making dinners each day.
- Pick a recipe and talk with the kids about what is a healthy ingredient.
- Avoid foods that are breaded and deep-fried. They are high in fat and calories.
- Teach kids to read food labels and see what is really inside their foods by doing a scavenger hunt in the cupboards.
- When children help create a meal, they often feel very proud and excited to taste it.
- Plan the week's meals with the help of your kids.
- Involve the kids in finding a fun recipe.
- Spend quality family time together by cooking together.
- Cut 100% whole wheat bread into fun shapes with cookie cutters for your child's sandwich.
- Skinless white meat chicken/turkey are low in fat. Lean ground turkey is a healthy substitute for ground beef.
- Involve your child in cooking and preparing meals.
- As they are putting away the fruits and vegetables, guess where they came from.