Celebrate family day with a commitment to family dinners
Posted on Sep 19, 2011 by Maggie LaBarbera
September 26 is National Family Day. One of the best ways to celebrate it is to make family dinners
a daily event.
You are teaching your children some important healthy habits at a younger age. Family time is so important and there are many studies linking healthier eating habits with children who routinely eat together as a family.
Here are some reasons why family time at dinner is so important:
- Parents and kids are busy with different schedules pulling them in different directions. This is a chance to catch up and know what is going on in your child's life. What things are important to them? What things are bothering them?
- It is also a chance to teach children good manners at the table. When else are they going to learn it?
- You can also try introducing new healthy foods for them to try. But don't overwhelm, just try one. And most importantly, keep it positive so that they enjoy family meals.
- Of course, home cooked meals tend to be healthier than restaurants. The portions served are usually smaller and you know what you put in your food!
- Kids can also help plan the menu for the following meal which keeps them involved and gets them more interested in wholesome fresh foods.
Meal time can also be fun food talk time! We worked with our partners Whyzz.com and created
some very fun conversational cards to get you started.
Fun scenarios stimulate imagination and good conversation. It's fun to talk about healthy habits with our creative family meal conversation card game.
Resources from our website:
Family Nutrition: The Importance of Family Dinner
Special tips from our dietitians on how to make time for family meals.
Family Mealtime Proves to Be a Powerful Activity on Kids Healthy Habits
8 Tips for Easy and Fun Family Meals
Picky Eaters Tips
Top Picks! Resources for Family Dinners
Kids Cook Monday
Blog for Family Dinner Join them Sept. 26 - Oct. 24, 2011 explore the far-reaching benefits of family dinner and find helpful tips and easy recipes to celebrate family dinners.
Whyzz celebrates Be healthy with fun facts for families
Looking for great question and answer topics for kids. Visit our partners at Whyzz.com where talking to kids is their speciality.